Dogs have a tendency of trying to eat just about everything they come across.
In most cases, this causes some slight discomfort.
There are things, however, that can be dangerous enough to cause death to your dog if he eats them.
Common Household Dangers for Dogs
1) Antifreeze: Many people do not realize it, but common antifreeze kills many pets each year. It smells and tastes very sweet to your dog and is very appealing to him.
2) Chocolate: Chocolate contains a substance called the obromine which is toxic to dogs. Baking chocolate and dark chocolate is especially dangerous.
3) Bleach: As you might imagine, household bleach is toxic to dogs. Keep all products containing bleach out of your dog’s reach.
4) Tylenol: As little as two regular strength Tylenol tablets can kill a small dog.
5) Watch Batteries: If your dog ingests a watch battery, it can cause a potentially fatal ulceration in the stomach within 12 hours. All other alkaline batteries are toxic to dogs as well.
6) Moth Balls: Moth balls are very dangerous to dogs. They contain an insecticide that causes central nervous system excitement and seizures..
7) Fabric Softeners and other detergents: All sorts of household detergents are toxic to dogs at one level or another, but fabric softeners fall into the highly toxic category.
8) Mouthwash: Mouthwash can contain boric acid which is highly toxic to dogs. Symptoms of poisoning by mouthwash include vomiting, drooling, seizures, and coma.
9) Peach Pits: With most fruits, the pits and the seeds are toxic to dogs. Signs of poisoning include drooling, vomiting, and lethargy.
10) Household Plants: Many common and popular household plants are highly toxic to dogs. A partial list of toxic plants includes poinsettias, lilies, ferns, devil’s ivy, aloe, and ivy.
11) Common Pest Control: When using rat or mouse baits, ant or roach traps, or snail and slug baits, place the products in areas that are inaccessible to your pet. Most bait contains sweet-smelling, inert ingredients, such as jelly, peanut butter and sugars, which can be very attractive to your dog.
12) Lawn Products: When treating your lawn or garden with fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides, always keep your dog away from the area until it has dried completely. Always store these types of products in an area that will ensure no possible pet exposure.
13) Electrical Cords: Exposed electrical cords and other wires should be kept as short as possible and, ideally, out of your dog’s sight and reach. If extension cords are used, mount them against a baseboard so they cannot be played with or chewed.
14) Lead: Lead paint should be removed with extreme caution. Cleanup should be prompt and thorough. Other items containing lead accessible to dogs include lead-base paint, linoleum and caulking compounds. Signs of ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, loss of appetite or muscle coordination, blindness and seizures.
15) Garbage Cans: Dogs commonly get into the kitchen garbage pail. If ingested, items such as bones, corncobs, shish-kabob skewers, and plastic food wrap can cause serious illnesses such as pancreatitis, peritonitis, or an intestinal obstruction.
16) Miscellaneous: Miscellaneous items that are highly toxic even in low quantities include pennies (high concentration of zinc), potpourri oils, fabric softener sheets, automatic dish detergents (contain cationic detergents which could cause corrosive lesions), batteries (contain acids or alkali which can also cause corrosive lesions), homemade play dough (contains high quantity of salt), winter heat source agents like hand or foot warmers (contain high levels of iron), cigarettes, coffee grounds and alcoholic drinks.
It is absolutely FREE to join and we NEVER share your information!